Wednesday 6 June 2012

Haute Body: Elevate Fitness Zumba

As you all know, I'm really into trying out new health foods and fitness classes as often as possible, so imagine my delight when the lovely Steven from Elevate Fitness got in touch inviting me to a complementary Zumba class!

Zumba in a nutshell:

1) Latin beats
2) High-impact aerobic cardio
3) Shimmying and shaking your jiggly bits in such a way that you actually feel sexy rather than obese

ZUMBA Fitness Class

Naturally, Zumba is hence right up my alley. I've been wanting to try it since the January before last when I first heard about it, probably because I adore dancing for fitness, my mom is Latin American so the sassy style of dancing really appealed to me and I love working my body hard.

So how did my experience go? Well, let's just say I was not at all disappointed. The beautiful instructor, Amy, led the mixed-gender group of about twenty of us in a blood-pumping warm-up to some awesome throbbing beat with brass instruments thrown over it. I was exhausted after the warm-up and realized that I really should have gone for a wee before the session started as I was now desperate. I dashed off for a couple of minutes and rejoined the group later. Throughout the hour-long class, we worked through a handful of songs to which Amy gave us a few counts of aerobic choreography which involved jumps, box steps, grapevines, hip thrusts, body rolls and more. The atmosphere was very relaxed with everyone laughing and smiling, also, we were allowed to grab a few mouthfuls of water and were encouraged to work at our own pace. I never felt uncomfortable in the group or bullied by the instructor which I have at exercise classes in the past so I was really happy!

Amy - Class Instructor

*Isn't Amy pretty???*

Elevate Fitness offers a range of classes including Bokwa, Boxfit, Kettlebells and more so they're definitely worth checking out. Zumba runs on Tuesdays at 8pm and Thursdays at 7pm at the Quality Hotel in Hanley, and on Wednesdays in Northwood at 7.30pm. One of the best things about Elevate Fitness is that you can pay as you go, which makes the £4-an-hour lesson really flexible if you know that one week you won't be able to make it, or another week you want to go twice.

I just wanted to say a great big 'Thank You' to Steven, Amy and Elevate Fitness for the free lesson which they kindly gave me. I must also say that all of my opinions expressed in this post are totally my own and nothing to do with the fact that I was gifted the lesson.

Have you ever been to a Zumba class? What's your favorite type of dance for fitness? Have you ever been to an exercise class where you've felt uncomfortable?

Love and snuggles
gabriellasofia
x

1 comment:

  1. I love zumba so much! I'm super grumpy if I don't get to go. Its not just a workout,it has an amazing feel good factor too! x

    ReplyDelete