Monday 26 March 2012

Guest Feature: Being Miss Thrifty by Victoria's Vintage...

My best pal Vikki has a very successful blog which you can find here. She's absolutely lovely and when she agreed to guest on HauteFuture during my blog break I was thrilled. She is my most save-savvy friend, so when she was wondering what to write about I agreed that it would be a great idea for her to share her bargain-grabbing tips with all of my followers, because times are hard and who doesn't want to save a little cash whilst shopping? This is what Vikki from Victoria's Vintage had to say...

***

The phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" has never been truer. Increasing prices in everything from fuel and rent, to fashion and household products is forever rising. Now is a good time to look at your outgoings and see where your highest spends are going and how you can cut down on them. This doesn't mean you have to cut it out of your life totally though. When I realised I was spending a huge portion of my student loan on clothes, shoes and accessories I decided to change my spending ways, and started looking at how I can still buy these things without it costing so much.

 
My newest eBay bargain purchase; I wanted this from H&M in November but it went out of stock so quick. It was £20 in store, I got it on eBay for 99p! 


eBay is your friend. You shouldn't dismiss it as something that people use to dispose of their scabby old clothes and belongings. It takes a lot of time and effort (and fees) to list on eBay, so people tend to only list things that are actually worth selling. I have bought many items brand new with store tags on, and some things are still current season! Sometimes people have things such as unwanted gifts, or they just don't fit them or need them anymore. They then sell them on at a tiny fraction of the cost, which is where you can pick up the savings. You can pick up a dress for less than £5 including delivery, or you could pick up a new season dress for a bit more. You will almost always find something worth bidding for on eBay. I often search eBay for something I've regretted not buying in store, but then find I can pick it up even cheaper! Also, if you’re a bit crafty, you can always buy something in a couple of sizes larger if you really like it, and then sew it to your own size. I have never had a problem with a seller sending me something in bad condition, or not as described. But if you do have problems, Paypal is always on your side to get you your money back. So what have you got to lose? Check out eBay now to find some vintage or brand new goodies!


This dress was also 99p from ebay, new with tags and a belt!  


If you prefer to buy things in person rather than online, why not head to your local charity shop or car boot sale now the summer is approaching? These are a bit more hit and miss than eBay buying, where you can specifically search for something. But if you dig around long enough, you'll be sure to find something that catches your eye. Especially with home-wares, if it looks nice but a bit worn, think of ways in which you could spruce it up with a revamp. I often buy old wooden jewellery boxes and then sand them down and repaint them, decorating them with leftover fabrics or embellishments. You just need to buy some regular emulsion wall paint, sandpaper, and a paintbrush! You will have lots of up-cycled goodies in no time.

I bought this old jewellery box for £2 from a charity shop, with a lick of paint it looks shabby-chic! 

Prices at car-boot sales can be literally pennies, but if you’re brave, don't be afraid to haggle a little to get the price down... it's all part of the fun! With charity shops, remember that your cash will be going to a good cause, so recycle those goods into something new, whilst doing your bit for charity. Don't forget to recycle your old goods too, where you can make your own cash at car-boot sales or on eBay! You can list for free if you start your item for 99p, don’t be afraid that someone will buy your prized too-small Topshop dress for a quid; the prices will shoot up within the last hour! It's better to make a bit of money so you can buy something new, rather than keeping your things in the back of a wardrobe, never to be seen again until you throw them away. Sell them now while you can still make some money! You can also swap clothes with your friends to find new styles and make up new outfits.

If you really want to buy things brand new, that’s fine too. But don't forget; only buy something if you really need it AND can afford it. It may look pretty on the hanger, but when it’s never worn, what was the point in buying it? If you do need to buy it, always check to see if there are any current discounts or promotions. Especially if you are buying online, check discount websites such as HotUKDeals.com for any current discount codes, you can often save a percentage, or get free delivery, saving you up to £5! And if you have a student discount card, flaunt it! There are great savings to be made in many high street stores. Also, always shop around. Don't always head to one place, take a look in cheaper shops first. Don't be afraid of heading into Primark or even Tesco for your fashion fix, they're cheap, cheerful, and if you're only going to wear it a handful of times, what's the difference? Their quality and style might not be as bad as you think. And no one can really tell the difference unless you tell them! 

Other little hints and tips are:
·  If you see a competition, why not enter it? There’s a good chance you could win!
·  If you're planning a meal/day out, check if there are any 2 for 1 vouchers floating around the internet. 
·  Book your travel tickets in advance, this can save you lots on your regular train fares!
·  Try saving £5 or £10 a week, it will build up in no time, and you could then treat yourself!
·  If you see your favourite health and beauty products on special offer, why not stock up for when you run out?
 

 
A designer 'Gorgeous Couture' dress I won worth £140 from an online competition! 

I hope you enjoyed my guest post :) If you would like to find out about how I manage being thrifty, and still have the things that I like, check out my 
blog where you can see all my bargain buys, DIY projects, and competition wins!

***

So there you have it! I've always been a bit apprehensive of purchasing on eBay, and I've never been lucky enough to find a designer handbag in the back of a charity shop. However,  now I've read this, I think I must persevere as my fashion habit is quite an expensive one... What do you think? Have you ever used eBay, or been into entering competitions? Picked up any bargains recently? I've been naughtily shopping at River Island online recently... Managed to bag some real steals!

Hope you liked this guest feature. If you're interested in writing for HauteFuture, no matter what your experience I would definitely welcome you! Go read this post and send me an email :)

In the meantime, definitely check out Victoria's Vintage blog page... she's currently running a giveaway, so if you win make sure you share your prize with me as you saw her here first :P

Got some more great guest posts lined up for the next two weeks, so keep an eye out. Until next time, beauties!

Love
gabriellasofia
x

4 comments:

  1. Fab post! I never knew you and Vikki were Besties! Love both your blogs and I didnt even realise you were connected! Would you like to swap blog buttons? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely be interested in swapping buttons! I've just discovered your blog and am now following, it's so fab. Haha, that's so funny that you didn't know we were pals :) I guess it's a small world right. Mickey brought us together when we were working together at Walt Disney World last summer and at risk of sounding like a primary school kid, she's now my bestest friend :) Haha. Send me an email with your button html in it and I'll stick it up asap. Please feel free to help yourself to mine :)
      Love
      gabriellasofia
      x

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post, thanks for the guest blog I follow her blog regularly and she introduced me to your blog which I'm very happy about, its great! Vikki says on her blog that you are looking for guest bloggers, I'd love to guest blog on your blog sometime, so please check my blog out and let me know if you fancy it! I promise I'll try not to lose you any followers! XxxXhttp://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you! I've been hunting for guest bloggers for ages and I've loved working with everyone so far. It would be great to have you guesting for me :) Please check out this post and send me an email as soon as possible. Can't wait to have you on board :)
      http://hautefuture.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/hautefuture-needs-you.html
      Love
      gabriellasofia
      x

      Delete